St. Charles, IL DUI Defense Lawyers
Naperville Attorneys Defending Clients Charged With DUI Resulting in Injury or Death
While any situation involving a DUI charge or potential charge is very serious, if that DUI resulted in death, the penalties the driver may face could be much more severe. If you are being charged with DUI in an accident that resulted in a death or deaths, it is essential you seek knowledgeable legal guidance promptly.
In Illinois, driving under the influence (DUI) is a serious crime. Even first time offenders face significant penalties, and those penalties can be more severe if there are any compounding factors. Some possible compounding factors include the age of the driver, the age(s) of the passengers, the driver’s blood alcohol content (BAC) level, and whether the driver caused an accident that resulted in severe injuries or death.
Penalties for DUI Resulting in Death
If you are convicted of a DUI, the least serious charges you are likely to face are those of a Class A misdemeanor. However, if the DUI resulted in the death of another person, you are likely to face Class 2 felony charges. The repercussions of a Class 2 felony conviction are more harsh than those of a misdemeanor and could include:
- A two-year license suspension. If this is not your first DUI, and the accident resulted in serious injuries and/or death, you may face a longer or even permanent suspension of your driving privileges;
- Jail sentence between three and fourteen years if the DUI resulted in a single death;
- Jail sentence between six and 28 years if the DUI resulted in two or more deaths;
- $25,000 in addition to any attorneys fees or medical costs for the victim(s); and
- A permanent criminal record.
DUI charges are serious, especially when that DUI results in death. The potential repercussions for a mistake of this magnitude are far-reaching and could be life altering. It is essential that you seek experienced and knowledgeable guidance from a law firm you can trust at this critical juncture.
At Donahue, Sowa & Mangana, our DUI attorneys can help you explore all the options available to you and assist you in mounting a vigorous defense. We serve Naperville and St. Charles DUI clients in addition to those found throughout Will, Kane, and Cook Counties. Contact us today.