Illinois Sex Offense Charge Attorneys
Naperville Solicitation of Sex with Minors Lawyers
Solicitation is a very serious charge, but solicitation of a sex with a minor brings additional penalties and stigma. If you or someone you care about may face charges of solicitation of sex with a minor in Illinois, it is in your best interest to seek guidance from an attorney with experience in this area of the law as soon as possible.
Solicitation Does Not Require Physical Contact
In Illinois, to solicit means “to command, authorize, urge, incite, request, or advise another to perform an act by any means, including, but not limited to, in person, over the phone, in writing, by computer, or by advertisement of any kind.” ((720 ILCS 5/11-6) (from Ch. 38, par. 11-6). This means that one can be charged with solicitation of sex with a minor even if he or she never came into actual physical contact with the individual or saw them in person. In fact, one can face charges for solicitation for discussing a sexual act in general with a minor without specifically asking for the minor’s participation.
Penalties for Solicitation of Sex with a Minor
The penalties one may face for solicitation of sex with a minor in Illinois vary from a Class 1 felony to a Class 3 felony, depending on what the accused was soliciting the minor to do.
- If the act would have been predatory criminal sexual assault, the accused will face Class 1 felony charges, potentially including four to fifteen years in prison;
- If the act would have resulted in criminal sexual assault, the accused will face Class 2 felony charges potentially including three to seven years in prison;
- If the act would have resulted in aggravated criminal sexual abuse, the accused will face Class 3 felony charges, potentially including two to five years in prison;
- In some cases, a person may face Class 4 felony charges which only carry a prison term of up to one year; and
- Additionally, there may be other penalties for someone accused of solicitation of sex with a minor. These penalties may include fines and/or registering as a Sex Offender.
If you have reason to believe that you may face charges of solicitation of sex with a minor in Illinois, or you believe that someone you care about may find their sel in this position, contact us today. The lawyers at Donahue, Sowa & Magana have represented clients throughout Illinois including those found in Geneva, Naperville, Will County, Kane County, and Cook County on a variety of criminal cases including sex crimes. We have the experience and knowledge you need at this critical juncture in your life.