If you are charged with DUI in Illinois, jail time is always a possibility. DUI charges can be very different from each other. In most cases, a first or second DUI is charged as a misdemeanor. Still, there are circumstances that can make this a felony charge.
Relevant factors that can alter a DUI charge include:
- Whether you have been convicted of DUI before;
- How long ago you were previously convicted of DUI;
- Whether your actions caused another person to suffer death or bodily harm;
- Whether you were transporting a child under the age of 16 at the time of the arrest;
- Whether you refused to take a chemical test to determine your blood alcohol content (BAC); and
- Your BAC at the time of your arrest.
For Your First DUI, you Probably Will Not Face Jail Time...