How to Fight Drugged Driving Charges in Illinois

Illinois DUI attorney

Just like an alcohol DUI, it is against the law in Illinois to be under the influence of any drug while operating a motor vehicle. In Illinois, a person convicted of drugged driving can face serious consequences. 

What is Drugged Driving?

If a person is pulled over or is involved in an accident, and it is discovered they are impaired by a prescription or illegal narcotic through field sobriety, breath, or blood test, it is considered a DUI. This includes legal medical marijuana cardholders who display signs of impairment or who fail a blood test.

Other than cannabis, any drug or combination of drugs and alcohol that causes a driver to be unable to drive safely constitutes a DUI. If the driver refuses to submit to a chemical test, their driver’s license may be revoked or suspended for a longer duration than if they fail a sobriety test.

What Is the Punishment for Drugged Driving?

A conviction for a first or second DUI is a Class A misdemeanor in Illinois. A first conviction can bring a minimum license revocation of one year, while a second may result in five days of imprisonment and license suspension of five years. Any subsequent DUI is classified as an aggravated DUI and is charged as a felony, with more severe punishments. 

Charges also intensify if there are other extenuating circumstances involved. This includes if there is a passenger under the age of 16 in the vehicle, if the DUI occurs in a school zone, if it results in an accident with injury or death, or if the driver has no auto insurance.

Contact an Experienced Naperville Drug DUI Lawyer

Regardless of whether you are a first-time DUI offender or you have multiple DUI charges, the Law Office of Glenn M. Sowa, LLC, can help you achieve a favorable outcome. When your future is on the line, you need a knowledgeable St. Charles DUI attorney by your side. If you face DUI charges in Illinois, do not wait any longer to secure an elite-level defense attorney. Call 630-232-1780 and set up a free consultation to discuss your case today.