When a child has been exposed to drugs or witnessed drug use by their parent or caregiver, the adults involved may be charged with child abuse or neglect. Child endangerment may also extend to infants who have been born with drugs in their systems. Child abuse or neglect can include any of the following scenarios:
- Drugs are being manufactured with a child present or in a child’s home;
- Drugs are being sold or given to a minor;
- Minors are present during the sale or sharing of drugs between adults;
- Caregivers are under the influence of drugs and cannot properly care for a child; and
- Drug manufacturing ingredients are being used or stored with a child present.
Child Abuse and Neglect in Illinois
Drug-related child abuse involves an adult caregiver, whether it is a parent or other household member, or even a babysitter, using, selling, or manufacturing drugs in the child’s presence or where the child lives. This does not mean only inside of the home, but also in the garage, other outbuildings, or anywhere on the property....