Illinois Informal Juvenile Proceedings Law Firm

Aurora Juvenile Law Lawyer

St. Charles Lawyers for Informal Juvenile Proceedings

While some of the formal terms used in juvenile proceedings are the same as those used in the adult legal system, a juvenile who finds themselves in trouble with the law faces very different options than an adult. One of those differences is the option for informal juvenile proceedings. Although informal proceedings are less serious than formal charges, it is always in your best interest to hire a law firm familiar with this area of the law and this type of charge to ensure that your situation is resolved as smoothly and quickly as possible.

What are Informal Proceedings?

When a police officer comes in contact with a minor who is breaking the law, they have several options as to how to proceed. They may issue a warning, they may choose to wait for the parents to come and only release the minor to their parent or guardian, or they may bring the minor into custody.

If the minor enters police custody, the juvenile courts and court officers have two options: informal or formal proceedings. Informal proceedings do not involve a formal charge and will not result in a formal conviction, which means that the minor will not have a criminal record. However, they are likely to receive other conditions as part of informal proceedings. These may include some of the following:

  • Fines;
  • Counseling;
  • Probation;
  • Community service;
  • Repayment of victim or victims; and
  • School attendance requirements.

If you know a minor who may be facing involvement with the juvenile court system including informal juvenile proceedings, you need to seek legal guidance from an experienced and knowledgeable law firm. At the Law Office of Glenn M. Sowa, LLC, our attorneys bring decades of experience to each and every client we represent. We will help you understand the intricacies of the juvenile court system so that you may make the best choices and pursue the most beneficial course of action for the individuals involved.Contact us today to schedule an appointment. We represent juvenile clients throughout Illinois, including those who live in St. Charles, Naperville, Kane County, Will County, and Cook County. 

Law Office of Glenn M. Sowa, LLC

Geneva: 630-232-1780
NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
DUI Criminal Lawyers
Geneva Office 524 W. State Street, Unit 2, Geneva, IL 60134 630-232-1780 630-402-0419